Monday 16 March 2015

Vegan Chili



Chili

So… This post is dedicated to my fellow Board Game clubbers J Love you guys and chillllllllli !

I used to have a recipe for an official chili now I just do as I remember plus add random veggys laying around in the house J. Easy recipe, although some beans may take some time to cook (Lukas could talk about it :P poor sweety cooked it for two hours now, as we added some fancy , but pretty old beans which didn’t want to cook J)

Ingredients
For approx. 4 portions
•   250g champions (sliced)  
•   2-3 paprika (sliced)
•   Jar (app 600g) tomato sauce/ puree
•   Corn (canned if you want)
•   3 carrots (sliced)
•   ½ onion (or more if you like it J, chopped)
•   Mixed spices (I usually go with: pepper, garlic, salt, oregano, coriander, chilli, basil) and yes I hate when they write it in recipes but: I just go with my feeling - not too much, not too little
•   Around 300-400g Various dried beans (soaked! or canned, I don’t like the canned ones L)
•   1 Handful of dried chickpeas/ or lentil (soaked again)
•   Garlic bread
•   Coconut fat (not much, just not to let the onion burn)

Preparation for the magic
Beans:          Soak them at least half a day

The Magic
1.  Put the coconut fat in a pan and melt it (medium temperature)
2.  Add the chopped onion, stir it for 5 min then add the carrots, paprika, mushrooms, corn
3. Roast them a bit (5-8 min) and add the spices
4. When they roasted a bit, add the tomato sauce and the beans/chickpeas (wash them and don’t add the water they soaked in)
6. Cook it until the beans get softy (add water in the process)
7. Don’t forget to bake the garlic bread! (I usually buy from the shop but sometime we do homemade) Its just toooo good with the chili J

Time
 Approx. 2 hr (15-20 min preparation, approx. 1-1,5 hr cooking)

Tips
1.     The lentils don’t need to be soaked J



2 comments :

  1. Nice recipe! I am looking forward to try it!!
    I would suggest that to make the preparation easier you could cook the beans before adding them to the pot. Just half cook them in water, and then continue with all the other ingredients. It makes it easier because you don't have to be there checking and stirring and adding water all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Davide! True that, it takes more time without pre-cooking! :*

    ReplyDelete